THIS IS A MESS! And it is only going to get worse.
Sulaimon Brown’s allegations prompt House oversight committee probe into Vincent Gray campaign
A congressional committee has launched an official probe into allegations by Sulaimon Brown, the fired D.C. government employee and former mayoral candidate who says that Mayor Vincent C. Gray promised him a job and that he received payments from two members of Gray’s campaign for attacks on then-Mayor Adrian M. Fenty last year.
Last week, staffers of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform reached out to Brown and others to learn more about the process city agencies were planning to use to investigate the allegations. But they were struck by the lack of cooperation from Gray campaign chairman Lorraine Green, campaign consultant Howard Brooks and Gerri Mason Hall, who was ousted Wednesday as Gray’s chief of staff, said committee spokesman Frederick R. Hill.
“It’s unprecedented, the lack of information we’ve received,” Hill said in an interview Thursday.
An investigator for the committee, chaired by Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.), said he has obtained evidence that Brown did not interview for his $110,000 job as a special assistant in the Department of Health Care Finance. He was simply placed there, Hill said.
The committee has subpoena power and could hold public hearings on the matter, Hill said.
“We haven’t ruled out hearings,” he said.
The committee’s action adds another layer of investigation outside D.C. government. The U.S. attorney’s office previously announced that it “is working with the FBI to assess the matter.”
Read more at www.washingtonpost.com
Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-D.C.), said in a statement: “A congressional investigation would take the new House Republican majority’s obsession with invading the District’s home rule to a new low. I hope to meet with Chairman Issa to ask him to defer to the investigations now underway.”